Lieutenant Colonel Andrew Oppmann is the public affairs officer,
director of public affairs, for the Southeast Region. In this role, he serves as a mentor and coordinator for public affairs officers in the region and manages public affairs functions
region headquarters. Oppmann also serves as national news coordinator for CAP.News and the digital platform overseen by the National Public Affairs Team.
Lt Col Oppmann, who worked for more than 25 years as a reporter, editor or executive for news organizations in seven states, is vice president for marketing and communications and an adjunct professor of journalism at Middle Tennessee State University in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He has a master's degree in strategic leadership from MTSU and a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Kentucky.
Lt Col Oppmann began in CAP in 1979 as a cadet in the Kentucky Wing's Hopkinsville Composite Squadron, serving later as chairman of the Kentucky Wing’s Cadet Advisory Council. He rejoined CAP in 2014 as an aerospace education officer to help facilitate the Tennessee Wing’s ongoing partnership with MTSU.
1. January 1979 - August 1981, Cadet, Hopkinsville Composite Squadron, Hopkinsville, KY
2. May 2014 - August 2014, Assistant Public Affairs Officer, Murfreesboro Composite Squadron, Murfreesboro TN
3. August 2014 - November 2016, Advisor to the Commander, Tennessee Wing
4. April 2015 - November 2016, Assistant Public Affairs Officer, Tennessee Wing
5. July 2015 - November 2016, External Aerospace Education Officer, Tennessee Wing
6. September 2015 - May 2018, Government Relations Advisor, Tennessee Wing
7. November 2016 - present, Director of Public Affairs, Southeast Region
8. January 2017 - present, National News Coordinator, CAP.News
9. May 2018 - present, Advisor to the Commander, Tennessee Wing
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Distinguished Service Award
Exceptional Service Award
Commander’s Commendation Award (1 region, 2 wing)
Unit Citation Award
Public Affairs, Master Level
Aerospace, Technician Level
Historian, Technician Level
2017 Lt. Col. Al Pabon Best in Show Award (Maj. Howell Balsem Civil Air Patrol Public Affairs Exceptional Achievement Awards) for coordination of CAP's news coverage in the aftermath of Hurricane Matthew in 2016.
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Cadet, January 1979
Senior Member, May 2014
Captain, August 2014 (professional)
Lieutenant Colonel, October 2015 (special appointment)
(Current as of 21 April 2018)